Friday, June 9, 2017

Philidor Playbook Zintgraff Win

My new Playbook for White covers 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3. This repertoire shows how to get good positions against Philidor Defence 2...d6, Elephant Gambit 2...d5, Latvian Gambit 2...f5, Damiano 2...f6, Gunderam 2...Qe7, and Busch-Gass Gambit 2...Bc5.

I admit an occasional weakness for the Elephant Gambit and Latvian Gambit as Black, but in my saner moments, I prefer White. The Philidor 2.Nf3 Playbook gives you a step by step guide to the 200 most important positions with diagrams. This book explains basic ideas against the six openings when Black does NOT play 2...Nf6 and 2...Nc6.

Gary Zintgraff played Bishop's Opening that turned into a Philidor Defense. He wrote:

"Here is a blitz game on ICC where my opponent had been bragging that he could beat anyone with his Philidor Defense and was ready to give lessons. I had to wait through several of his games to challenge him. I like to play the Morphy attack usually but started off with the Bishop's Opening in hopes of getting a weak move from him and then transposing into a Morphy attack. That's sort of what happened!"

[My Philidor 2.Nf3 Playbook is also available in paperback.]

Zintgraff - NN, ICC, 2017 begins 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 d6 3.Nf3 [Now a Philidor] 3...h6 [Too soon for this move. It comes in one variation after White has played Bg5 in the main line.] 4.d4 Nd7 [Mistake? Played too soon.] 5.dxe5 dxe5 [Now his game falls apart.] 6.Bxf7+ Kxf7 7.Nxe5+ Ke6 8.Qd5+ [Resigns after some evaluation time. His King has only two squares to retreat to. One leads to mate in 3. The other is mate in 5. He typed in some BS then about my play and, although I never respond to comments, I typed in, "Thanks for the Philidor lesson."] 1-0 [Notes by Zintgraff]


You may also like: King Pawn (1.e4 e5) and Queen Pawn (1.d4 d5)
Copyright 2017 Home Page / Author Page / sawyerte@yahoo.com
Sign Up for free weekly Chess Training Repertoire updates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now in Kindle and paperback

Blog Archive